Easy Blueberry Cream Pie

Friday, November 18, 2011

  Every time pies are on the menu, people ask me to bring my apple pie.  As much as I love knowing I have a home run every time I make it, sometimes I get the urge to try out some different pie recipes.  That's why I'm preempting the Thanksgiving baking this year and trying out a new recipe that caught my eye on Pinterest.  This easy blueberry pie recipe was creamy with a big blueberry flavor and  the crunch of cinnamony crumb topping made it into a little piece of blue heaven on a plate.  :)   

FYI  This pie also freezes well, if you're looking to do a little advance baking for the holidays (see directions below).   


Recipe Source:  Gingerbread Bagels (the blog seems to have been discontinued)

Click here for printable recipe. 


The ingredients:



unbaked 9-inch pie crust
(I used this amazing recipe for the crust)
3 cups blueberries (frozen or fresh)
1 cup sugar
1/3-cup all purpose flour
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

CRUMB TOPPING



2-1/2 Tbs. brown sugar
2 Tbs. sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
pinch ground nutmeg
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
2/3 cup all purpose flour

EGG WASH
1 egg
1 Tbs. water

Directions:

Roll out the pie crust and place in 9-inch pie pan.  Crimp edges as desired, then set aside in the refrigerator while you work on the filling.  In a medium bowl,  mix together the sugar and flour. Add in the eggs, sour cream, and vanilla extract and mix until combined.

Pour the blueberries into the bottom of the crust.  NOTE:  If using frozen berries, do not allow to thaw first.   Pour the filling over the blueberries and spread evenly.  Place pie back in the fridge while you work on the crumb topping. 


FOR CRUMB TOPPING:   In a small bowl, mix together the sugar, brown sugar, ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg. Pour the melted unsalted butter into the bowl and mix everything together.  Add in the flour and mix until the ingredients form a crumble topping.
Crumble the topping evenly over the pie.

FOR EGG WASH: In a small bowl, combine egg and water.  Then gently brush over the edge of the crust.

Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes or until center is set.   Let the pie cool before cutting into slices.  Serve with a dollop of whipping cream!


NOTE:  This pie freezes well.  Just allow to cool completely, wrap in plastic, and freeze.  Thaw in refrigerator until ready to serve or if you're impatient like us, just eat it partially frozen!   

Enjoy!


Don't miss a single recipe at Recipe Shoebox.  Sign up for free email updates on the right. 

4 comments:

Kim November 18, 2011 at 1:33 PM  

I understand what you mean when you say you love having a standby but also want to make new recipes.

Love the idea of a blueberry cream pie. It's something I've never tried before. Oh, and that pie crust looks amazing!

Debbie November 18, 2011 at 6:20 PM  

When I saw the first picture of the pie I thought "wow that is a great looking pie", then I saw further down the pie shell. It is so perfect looking! I wish I could get my crust like that.

teresa November 19, 2011 at 3:08 PM  

oh my gosh, this is gorgeous! i love blueberry pie, i would eat this for breakfast, haha!

Anonymous,  November 15, 2012 at 10:11 PM  

This is literally the best pie ever! Thanks for posting, gingerbread must have closed her blog :( I wanted to make the pie for thanksgiving and thanks to you I can! I will be sure to print this since I always relied on Pinterest before.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP