Cheese Crusted Lasagna Soup

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

After a whole week of nonstop Halloween treat recipes, I'm pleased to announce that, yes, we eat real food too!  This soup from the ever-amazing SnoWhite at Finding Joy in My Kitchen is destined to be a new family favorite at our house.   It was hearty, flavorful, and full of sausage and noodles, which are always surefire tickets to culinary success at our house.  If you have picky young kids (or even adults), I highly recommend chopping the veggies pretty small (including the mushrooms and spinach).  It not only makes the soup more evenly textured, but my kids didn't even bat an eyelash at the presence of the normally offensive mushrooms, since they were hidden surreptitiously among the rest of the yummy stuff.  :)

Recipe Source:  Finding Joy in My Kitchen
Click here for printable recipe. 

The ingredients:


SOUP: 
1 lb. Italian sausage (we like the "hot" version)
2 Tbs. olive oil
2 onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. oregano
8-ounces mushrooms, chopped
1 medium bell pepper, diced
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 Tbs. tomato paste
2 cans (14-ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
6 cups chicken broth (or 6 cups water + 6 bouillon cubes)
1 bay leaf
8-ounces whole wheat pasta shells
1 cup fresh spinach, chopped (with it chopped finely, I definitely think I could have added another cup or two of spinach)

CHEESE BASE (per bowl):


1 Tbs. ricotta cheese (low-fat is great)
1 Tbs. Parmesan cheese, shredded
2 Tbs. mozzarella cheese, shredded
salt and pepper, to taste

Directions: 

Remove casings from sausage and cook on medium-high heat until browned and cooked through.  Drain and set aside. 

In a large stockpot, heat olive oil and add onion, garlic, oregano, mushrooms, bell pepper, and red pepper flakes and saute about 5 minutes.  Add in sausage and tomato paste and saute an additional 5 minutes.
 Add in the diced tomatoes, broth and bay leaf.  Simmer the soup for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.  Add in the pasta and spinach and cook until tender; about 7-9 minutes.  Remove the bay leaf.  Add in basil and season with salt and pepper.

To Serve with Cheese Base:

Place 1 tablespoon ricotta cheese in the bottom of each soup bowl.   Top with Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, salt and pepper, as desired.  Serve soup over the cheeses in the bowl.


Makes 10 servings. 

Enjoy!


Don't miss a single recipe at Recipe Shoebox.  Sign up for free email updates on the right!  

9 comments:

Debbie November 2, 2011 at 5:37 PM  

Spices, cheese and pasta...what is not to like in this soup! Delicious!

SnoWhite November 2, 2011 at 7:37 PM  

so glad you guys enjoyed it -- and great tips about chopping up the veggies! When we have little ones, that will be key, I'm sure :)

Lyndas recipe box November 2, 2011 at 8:34 PM  

Your soup looks delicious Lara! I've bookmarked it to try soon. We have a cold front blowing in right now and I wish I had the ingredients to make this tonight!

Quirky Jessi November 2, 2011 at 9:04 PM  

Oooo, looks delicious. I've tried several of Joy's recipes and never been disappointed, so I can't imagine not loving this one, too.

Julie November 2, 2011 at 11:43 PM  

I'm so glad it's soup weather....this looks delish :)

Kim November 3, 2011 at 7:05 AM  

I love the technique of putting the cheese in the bottom of the bowl. This looks exceptional!

Anonymous,  November 3, 2011 at 6:20 PM  

Ohhhhh...this looks DELICIOUS!! Can't wait to try it :)

Claudia November 3, 2011 at 8:57 PM  

This cheesy comforting soup goes right to my soup-loving soul!

Wendy January 22, 2012 at 12:45 AM  

I made this soup tonight and it was delicious! I did make one change though. I cooked the pasta separately and then added it to the soup before serving it. I hate it when the pasta gets "bloated" for leftovers!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP