Stuffed Wieners with Chipotle Smashed Sweet Potatoes

Friday, April 23, 2010

If you think this recipe is a little different from my "normal" fare, you should've seen the looks on the kids' faces when they realized that it was their female parent that was actually feeding them hot dogs.  I have to say that these were surprisingly good with the chipotle smashed sweet potatoes and my kids were crazy for them.  My friend makes these with instant potatoes or leftover mashed potatoes which would definitely put this into the super easy, I have 10 minutes to feed my family, kind of meals and I'm always up for a few more of those!  :) 

 Click here for printable recipe

Stuffed Wieners
The ingredients:
1 pkg. hot dogs
2-3 cups mashed potatoes or mashed sweet potatoes* (see note below)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:  Split hot dogs down the center vertically without cutting all the way through and place on cookie sheet.

Stuff mashed potatoes into each hot dog.  Sprinkle each with cheese.  Bake at 450 degrees for about 5 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and golden.  Enjoy!



*NOTE:  You can use leftover (or instant) mashed potatoes for this or for really yummy (and healthier) mashed sweet potatoes use this recipe:

Chipotle Smashed Sweet Potatoes
The ingredients:
2 lg. sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 Tbs. butter
1/2-1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
1/2-1 tsp. adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers
1/2 tsp. salt

Directions:  Put cubed sweet potatoes in boiling water and boil just until fork tender; about 15-20 minutes.  Drain and place in a large mixing bowl.  Add butter and mash together. Add 1/2 chipotle pepper and 1/2 tsp. adobo sauce and salt.  Mix well.
Taste and if desired, add up to another 1/2 chopped chipotle pepper and 1/2 tsp. of adobo sauce.  Enjoy!

4 comments:

Kim April 23, 2010 at 2:59 PM  

I can see why the kids would love this one so much. The funny thing is that my husband is the one who doesn't want the kids to eat the hot dogs, whereas it doesn't really bother me. Sounds like it is the opposite in your house. This is a great recipe to have for those nights when the kids don't really like what the grown ups are having. And, I especially love this if there are leftover mashed potatoes laying around.

Unknown April 23, 2010 at 8:44 PM  

I love the recipes on your blog. I did make the French Peasant Bread and yes I did freeze and it still tasted delicious!! Thanks for the awesome recipes. I am giving you a blogger award. You can pick it up at http://mylifeadventurebyme.blogspot.com/. Thank you so much for sharing all your wonderful recipes.

God Bless,
Shelley

teresa April 24, 2010 at 12:40 PM  

great way to add vitamins to a hotdoggy! i bet this was delicious!

Chef Aimee April 24, 2010 at 6:51 PM  

Forget the kids, I am an adult and would love this!!!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP